Friday, March 8, 2013

Woes of finding a movie mate!

The trouble with getting the right sort of group to watch a movie with is something I have had to grapple with for quite some time. The problem usually is that for many it is 'just' a movie. So that entire plan that you make for the evening of a weekend is not only about the movie. It is not about reaching a little early, checking out the posters, getting inside the theatre on time to be greeted with trailers of up-coming movies and then make yourself comfortable to watch the feature film undisturbed, when you no longer remember who you came with, but know only what is being showcased on the screen. No, it is not about this sanctity with which you watch a movie, for many. It is about creating an elaborate plan that involves meeting at eating spots before the movie, it is about deciding the things to do once the show is over, it is about not worrying whether you are a a minute or twenty late for the movie, and it is about considering which flavour of popcorn and kind of coffee to have in the intermission.  

Now I do not mind being with a boisterous group if I go to watch Hangover. A friend to chit chat with during one of the Fast & Furious movies is also fine. But don't nudge me when I am watching The Dark Knight. Don't ruin my moment of being part of history when I am deeply immersed in Lincoln. And once I step out of The Hobbit, I care not where everyone wants to go, for I have just been part of an epic adventure. That is what movies are about, right? Experiencing emotions, most of which I probably have not felt till now. Living experiences that I have not created on my own. Being part of a story which pulls me in and keeps me there for those 120-odd minutes when my other life holds little meaning. It is not 'just' a movie. It would never have been a multi-billion dollar industry if it had been 'just' something. While each movie has a story unfolding in front of you, there is usually a story unraveling behind it. Providing jobs to so many. Providing an artistic outlet to a gifted few. Creating its own rags-to-riches stories. It is the unwise who dismiss the power of a movie. The power of great story-telling!

But for many this wisdom will not dawn anytime soon. Hence I tend to ignore the masses, keep away from the crowds when I step in to watch a movie that would probably light my eyes up. And once the lights of the theatre fade and it is only the huge screen that is lit, there is no other world left, not even me. It is just the pure magic of story-telling. Experience it this way once. Step into that theatre alone, willing to let yourself be swept away by the enchantment of a wonderful movie. I assure you, you will discover an unadulterated pleasure, unique in its kind. And movie watching shall never be the same again... 

No comments:

Post a Comment