Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The British Voice

Well, I put forth my discovery for today. It may not be a discovery at all. You may not agree with the hypothesis itself, you may come up with other 'data points' to disprove what I seek to prove here. Nonetheless, the connections I have noticed today seem too remarkable for there not to be an underlying pattern beneath it all. That it cannot be a mere coincidence. That the hand of God has played a part somewhere. Ok, ok... I am getting carried away. So here it is. My discovery. All the best sounding actors in Hollywood come from the United Kingdom. 

Before you jump off your seat in a state of incredulity and yell about this impudent statement, I urge you to think again. Though here I must confess my love for the British accent. But even keeping that aside, some of the most masculine sounding voices mixed with eloquence befitting that of one with royal blood oozes from UK bred actors. Daniel Day-Lewis is there top on my list, who it seems knows not how to talk like a common man. This is what he said on the screenwriter of Lincoln, Tony Kushner, while accepting his Golden Globe: "Everyday I have to live without the immeasurable wealth of your language, which reminds me everyday of the impoverishment of my own."

Sir Ian McKellan has left us riveting innumerable times with the enunciation of his dialogues, either be it as Gandalf or as Magneto. Liam Neeson, an Irish man, has a depth in his voice which makes the screen his own. And he definitely made a few hearts stop when he uttered those memorable lines: "I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you." Clive Owen may not be one of those 'royal lineage' actors, but his gruff sounding voice does add a further dimension to his acting that makes him perfect for characters like Dwight in Sin City. then we have the likes of Alan Rickman, Jeremy Irons, Gary Oldman... hmm, I'm surely forgetting a few more. Oh and the perfectly charming Hugh Grant simply drives the British accent home! And if you got something for the Scottish touch, the original Bond, Sir Sean Connery, is the start and end of it all. This may not be a comprehensive list for sure. But hey, it's a thought, Maybe like Sparta gave you the perfect warriors, United Kingdom does give you the perfect sounding men!

No comments:

Post a Comment